Shrimp Scampi Linguine




I have , recently , gotten into making shrimp dishes, as I have come across an old recipe box of my Grandmas , and she made the best Italian food I've ever eaten. Some of the recipes are in her hand writting, some are typed , and still others are clipped and pasted onto index cards. Since they are all in her files , I credit her with them , unless another author's name is on the entry , then I will credit that person. So... here ya go.

Ingredients

1 oz. pecorino Ramano cheese ( grated )

8 Lg. shrimp ( devained )

2 cups A.P. flour

3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

3 oz. roma tomatoes ( diced )

8 oz. of seafood stock

3 cloves fresh garlic ( minced )

2 lemon wedges ( diced )

3 oz. Chablis wine

12 oz. linguine ( al dente )

2 tbsp. unsalted butter

Chopped oregano and basil ( 1/2 of each )

Prep Work

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour , salt , and amount of black pepper , which depends on how much heat you like. I've also used crushed red pepper , for that extra pop. Now , dredge the shrimp , not heavily , on both sides , and place to the side . Depending on how efficiently you move in the kitchen , you may want to place the shrimp back in the fridge, until you are ready to saute' them.

You're better off heating the olive oil on a low heat , to avoid scorching. A large skillet , I find , is better for this , on a medium burner. In my experience , this will pay off by allowing you to move the shrimp to the outside while adding the linguine later. It keeps them hot while you combine the sauce and the pasta, without overcooking the shrimp , which I have found to be really bland. When you are sauteing the shrimp , you're looking for it to just change color, when it does , now add the garlic. They need to now be stirred , constantly , until the garlic browns. This is still on a low heat.

I'll tell you what, this entry is making me hungry. I can imagine cooking this will bring em' in with a smile on their face , and keep them close. The aroma is the best. Now it's time to add the tomatoes , stock, wine , and the lemon. Put in the butter and the cheese, and toss for 20 seconds. Plate directly from skillet , and add your oregano and basil. It's done. The enitre cook time for this dish, starting from the point the shimp enter the oil , is 25 minutes.

Even though it is a pasta dish , I have found that it pairs very well with ice cold Shiner Bock. Enjoy, and please let me know how it turned out in your kitchen.

Larry

www.bakespace.com/?coldhitz

Comments