Man , That's Messed Up


There is some sad practices going on in the grocery store these days . I'm not talking about the deli girl and Joe the Butcher , they are in love and we all need a break from the pressures of slicing and dicing . No , this is something I can not turn away from , because it is hitting me in the wallet . I'm pretty angry with the way food manufacturers are holding us prisoner and devilishly putting their goods on the shelf with less goods within for more money . This is , of course , a reality in tough economies , something that has gripped every aspect of food production . From seed to store , it's all gotten linked to the rising price of energy , coupled with the new depression that is my shrinking bank account ....and yours too , this is putting the stranglehold on a nation that is standing in line to go broke.


Well , it was the skyrocketing cost of oil that was to blame . Now that the price of black gold is down , and has been for awhile , why is the price of food continuing to rise as the volume of food units goes down ? The soup I like to buy has become a magical shrinking wonder over the past three years . Going from 19 oz. a can to then being 17 oz. a can , and just yesterday coming in at a paltry 16 2/3 ozs. a can . Right before my eyes .... b.s. ! I have also noticed that more bars of soap seem to be needed to carry me over until my next trip to the store . So , I checked it out , and sure enough , the proof was right on the label . The size of the bars had not only decreased , but the number of bars in the " value " pack had gone down as well , leaving me to make two extra trips a week . Those trips ain't free .


At a time when we are all struggling to make due with less and less , is it really good community practices for our industry leaders to be joining in on sticking it to us . It's probably hard to see it from that perspective on a beach in Barbados . Nice .


Larry

Comments